This was a lovely Plan B on a rainy October evening when I discovered that I had not marinated the chicken for the dinner I had originally planned to make. This is super easy, tasty, comfort food.
TORTELLINI, SAUSAGE & SPINACH SOUP
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage (depending how meaty you like your soup)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth (about)
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (9 oz.) package refrigerated fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 (6 oz.) package baby spinach, coarsely chopped (6 cups)
Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- HEAT oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add crumbled sausage, onion and garlic. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Add Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
- ADD tortellini; simmer 5 to7 minutes. Add half & half. Bring to a simmer.
- STIR in spinach. Simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.