Oh my, this was much better tasting than it looks. It’s a lovely, oaty cookie bar with butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. The original recipe called for a full bag of butterscotch chips, but I only had half a bag, so I substituted with half a bag of chocolate chips and the combination was yum. It was the perfect, autumnal cookie bar, if you ask me. I found this recipe on the following blog, Sweet Treats & More.
Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars with Brown Sugar Glaze
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 c butter, soft
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 c oatmeal (uncooked oats)
1 (12 oz) package of Butterscotch Chips (or half butterscotch, half chocolate chips)
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Grease a 9×13 in. pan and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter then add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in oatmeal, then butterscotch chips.
5. Spread batter into the greased pan. Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes
***If the edges seem to be browning but is still gooey in the middle, reduce to temp to 325 for last 5-10 minutes.
6. Once cool, frost with brown sugar glaze.
Brown Sugar Glaze
1/4 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
1/8 c milk
1/2 c sifted powdered sugar
In a saucepan melt butter. Stir in brown sugar and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and continue to beat for two minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk and return to boil (continually stirring).
Remove from heat and let cool to luke-warm temperature. Gradually stir in powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if needed. If it seems too thick you can add a little bit of warm water until you reach the desired consistency.